Happy Spring everyone! It’s time for the spring vegetables to come back! So get ready for a lot of recipes with asparagus! Yum! We all know it’s still cold in the Bay Area and it doesn’t feel like spring, so try this delicious cream of asparagus soup with shrimp! It will surely make you feel warm inside!
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water used to cook the asparagus
- 1 pound of asparagus stems
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 12 cooked medium shrimps
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat.
- Simmer onion until very soft and golden, stirring often for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add stock and water, increase heat, and bring to a boil.
- Chop asparagus; drop into boiling stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour soup into blender in batches and blend until creamy.
- Return puree to pot; taste and adjust seasoning, adding lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
- If serving soup hot, garnish with lemon zest and shrimp, and serve.
- If serving soup cold, remove from heat, cover, and refrigerate. Garnish with lemon zest and cold shrimp.