Don’t get Eggnog from a carton, when you can easily make your own at home. It’s even more delicious! Add your favorite island rum for a holiday cocktail.
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups whole milk divided in half
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a heavy saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt. Gradually add 4 cups milk and cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160°-170°, about 30-35 minutes. Do not let it boil. Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- 2. Stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring until milk mixture is cool. (use a mixer if necessary so it doesn’t separate) Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.
- 3. To serve, beat cream until soft peaks form. Whisk gently into cooled milk mixture. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg before serving.