Who’s ready for St. Patrick’s Day?! Well kick off the night with some delicious Irish beef and Guinness stew! It’s sure to make you feel like you’re in Ireland! #Yum
- 1-2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
- 1kg shoulder of beef, cut into one inch chunks
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 roughly chopped carrots
- 2 roughly chopped celery sticks
- 2 finely sliced cloves of garlic
- 150ml of beef stock
- 500ml of Guinness
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 30g of plain flour
- Heat the oil in a large pot and brow the meat in two batches.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add another drop of oil if you need it and then fry off the celery, onion, and carrots.
- Add the meat back into the pot along with the garlic.
- Pour in the stock, Guinness, one bay leaf and season to taste.
- Simmer gently for about 1 1/2 hours until the liquid had reduced.
- If the sauce isn’t thick enough strain the juices into a bowl and transfer to a small sauce pan.
- Mix a little of the sauce with the flour over heat, until you have a smooth paste.
- The whisk through the rest of the liquid.
- Simmer gently until you have a thickened sauce.
- Tip back over the meat.
- Serve with mash potatoes or crusty bread.