The stickiness of steamed jasmine rice is a symbol of a family “sticking” together. Here’s a sticky rice with mango to celebrate the “Year of the Dog” with your family!
- 1 1/2 cups sweet rice
- 1 1/3 cups well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, and cut into thin slices (at least 24)
- Soak rice in cold water to cover overnight.
- Drain rice well in a sieve. Set sieve over a large deep saucepan of simmering water and steam rice, covered 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender.
- While rice is cooking, Bring 1 cup coconut milk to a boil with 1/3 cup sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Keep mixture warm.
- Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and stir in coconut-milk mixture. Let rice stand, covered until coconut-milk mixture is absorbed (about 3o minutes).
- In a small pan slowly boil remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk with remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and chill until cool and thickened slightly.
- To serve, mold 1/4 cup servings of sticky rice on dessert plates. Drizzle desserts with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide mango slices among plates