Let’s face it, the best pizza comes from the hottest oven so why not cook your pizza on the grill…it tastes great! With so many ingredients readily available at the supermarket, you can whip up pizza on the grill and let the kids help. Here’s what you need.
- 1 ball pizza dough (store made is great)
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomato sauce
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, and grated Parmesan
- Toppings such as herbs, thinly sliced vegetables, pepperoni and salami, prosciutto, chopped greens such as arugula, or diced tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Heat the grill: You should heat it hot about 550°F with the lid on.
- Set up a table or bench near the grill with all your ingredients and toppings, organization is key.
- Stretch or rolled out your dough into a thin circle, remember it doesn’t have to be perfect but try to keep the dough width consistent and not too thin or it will break.
- Brush one side of the dough with olive oil; this is the side you’ll lay down on the grill.
- Take the lid off the grill and lay the dough round on the grill with the olive-oil side down.
- Brush the top of the dough with a thin layer of olive oil, too. Let the dough cook for about 3 minutes, with the lid off. Use the tongs to check the dough, grill marks ok, but not too crispy.
- Flip the dough over with the tongs or spatula and be ready to top the pizza quickly. Spread a thin layer of sauce, cheese and then toppings. Don’t overload or the pizza won’t cook well.
- Close the lid and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Say close and make sure the pizza is not burning. Use your tongs and moved to a cooler part of the grill if necessary.
- Check your pizza, it’s ready when the edges are crisp and well-done, and the cheese should all be melted.
- Drag the pizza off with the spatula or tongs. Let cool for 3 minutes, then cut with pizza slicer and eat!